Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Oops, I Did It Again



Cheers to my stupidity...


Oh god, I’ve been smiling to myself all day coz I'm surprised myself at the extent I am capable of going to utterly embarrass myself. Absolutely NO social skills whatsoever when it comes to a professional relationship. I've been getting feedback from people that apparently i'm very shy, timid and obedient. HAHAH!!!!! So not the Katrina that u know rite?? But it's true...within these four walls at least.....i stutter every time i see my boss. This is what happened to me over the weekend and today…..

I volunteered for the Aids Memorial day at Aquaria last Sunday. To my surprise, the professor that i am currently working with (Prof Adeeba) was present for the officiating. It was one of a kind; she dove in the aquarium with three other people surrounded by sharks and giant fishes and scary looking sea creatures and hung a banner underwater. What a sight right? That's what i thought..... so i had to say something to her.... coz i don't wanna appear rude, as i was the only one present there from my department, and she waved at me when she was in the aquarium.....i had to acknowledge her effort. I missed her on that very day, but i did manage to bump into her today morning on my way to the office.
So she says..."Katrina!!" ,, and i say "Oh prof! Good Morning"..... and then an awkward silence..... i looked straight and kept on walking.... roughly about one meter more to the office door..... Prof decided to kill the silence by asking "so....how are you?".... and i reply "fine thank you".....awkward silence again......
My brains were telling me to say something...but i just couldn't figure out what...... and then suddenly...... the horrific words came out........it was as though my mouth was going all out of its way to be a complete dumb asswipe………… "DID U GET A FLU FROM THE DIVING?"........ and she looked at me, completely perplexed, as tough she being a professor and a medical doctor had missed out on this amazing discovery that homosapiens are vulnerable to the flu after some bazaar diving activity........... she said…. "amm……NO…..*snicker* …… AM I SUPPOSE TO??.....
Oh god……..i felt like reaching out to the nearest urinal bowl and diving my head into it….. Did u get a flu from the diving????????? WTF??????? Who the f*** says that…. Oh….but then again ….i do……. I pulled a Katrina…. (To the other Katrina, no offence…. I'm sure u have great social skills)…


On another similar occasion, I bumped into Tunku Noor at the Aids Memorial Day. Tunku Noor is the daughter of Tunku Abdul Rahman, very sophisticated…. And I think she was carrying a LV bag…. Anyways, generally…. Someone with a high status…classy not to mention. She had recognized me because I've been working with her to develop some module related to my work.
So I was walking with Timmy ( cousin) thru the Aquaria and I hear someone calling out my name…… I turn around and I see Tunku Noor. Quite a pleasant lady, so I was delighted to bump into her….. Long pause, coz as usual…. I didn't know what to say apart from the fact that I was repeatedly thought to say "How are you?" by my kindergarten and primary school teachers……. So I stood there and smiled….. at least I got that one right…… Then suddenly……………………………………………………..
Keep in mind that the brains were not working…. Its either I have a really intelligent motor reflex system that is able to function without signals from my brain or….. hmm….. or…. I was just born to live the life of Katrina…..My hands stretched out to her and I gave her a hug, and a tap on her back….. Like a tap I would give to my dog Kuchimai to keep him calm….. to maintain her poise and dignity, she managed to transform my aggressive hug to one of those Queen of England's greeting methods….. she kissed the air near my cheek and made a funny noise… 'muah"…. And the second cheek… "muah"…. As I was removing my hands that were still hung around her back…. I saw the reflection of her pearl earrings, and then it hit me…. what i did I just do????????
All panic hit me….. I turned around at Timmy, hoping that he would create a bigger "impression" than me so that his mishap would outshine mine….. maybe pull down his pants and flash her as part of some voyeuristic cult ritual or something……… but all hope crumbled as Timmy ,clutching his own f***in Rm 2000 bag, reached out and gave Tunku Noor a pleasant "Salam"…. Why didn't I think of that…..
Oh god….. It bugged me the entire day….more so because I was suppose to meet her the next day for a meeting. Well, the moment came and went, and all was fine. Thank god she was clutching her LV bag on one hand and a bag of Starbucks coffee on the other and there was no space for me to reach out and embrace her or invade her personal space in any way….

Well…. They say that u can take an Indian out of an estate, but you can never take an estate out of an Indian…. Batu Arang really dug its way into my soul I guess……

2 comments:

  1. Katax.. the 2nd experience should not be embarassing.. its rather sweet. Oh and about Bt. Arang, i always thought that ppl don't really display public touching.. let alone hug outta the blues. I think its simply the Katrina in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem tooo! I'll plan all the damn answers in my head and then never be able to say it out...

    HAHAHHAHA!

    ReplyDelete